Friday, May 13, 2022

Thoughts on The Sermon on the Mount

Matthew 5:4, Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted.


I have heard many funeral sermons dealing with the atonement of Christ and the comfort given by contemplating the reality of the resurrection and the hope of a reunion with loved ones.   I have personally lost two grandmothers, a father and a mother, a father-in-law, a mother-in-law, a brother, several cousins, a very dear friend in Viet Nam, and two wonderful companions at my side. In each instance there was real sorrow and mourning,

Yet, on one occasion, as I was studying the New Testament and was pondering Matt 5:4, it occurred to me, that the anguish and sorrow I felt for my loved ones, did not compare in depth to the pain and sorrow I had felt on numerous occasions, when I realized I had offended my Heavenly Father. That scripture has become one of my favorite scriptures as the Lord gave me insight into the power of the Atonement of Christ through repentance. The joy experienced through receiving forgiveness as we approach our Heavenly Father with broken hearts and contrite spirits is one of the greatest blessings of the Gospel.

As a footnote to the above, two scriptures come to mind:  D&C 59:23 But learn that he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world and eternal life in the world to come; and John 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

My 89 years of living teach me that life is wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Moral Concept of “Fair”

There are many Gospel topics with meanings related to the concept of “Fair”, such as just, merciful, kind, understanding, loving, gracious...