Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Thoughts relating to events on the Cross of Calvary.

Many of our hymns suggest that Christ was killed on the Cross of Calvary, but that obscures one of the most significant elements of the Crucifixion.

As the son of the mortal mother, Mary, it was possible for him to die, but as the son of his Heavenly Father, he was not subject to death in the same way you and I will some day leave this mortal existence. 

Furthermore, all of us have earned the wages of sin as taught by Paul in his epistle to the Romans: “For the wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23)

Not so Christ. As the only one without sin, he was not subject to death. He taught this very clearly. “Therefore. doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life that I may take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.” (John 10:17 – 18). Christ was not killed on Calvary, not until he chose to give up the ghost, did he die.

Not until he knew he had fulfilled his mission, was he ready to pass from this life. The King James version has him say: “It is finished” and he bowed his head and gave up the ghost. (John 19:30) and “Father into thy hands I command my spirit” and having said thus, he gave up the ghost. (Luke 23:46) 

I, personally prefer the Luther translation, “Es ist Vollbracht”.  (it is fully done – or “it is accomplished”), also included in the current German Unity Translation, published by order of several Catholic Bishop’s councils in European countries in cooperation with the “Evangelische Kirche” (Lutheran Church) in Germany.

It is important to recognize that agency is an essential element in our Heavenly Father’s plan for his children. Spiritual growth is simply not possible without truly free and independent choice. Thus, Satan’s plan of universal salvation without choice was not acceptable. On the other hand, Christ’s offer of the infinite atonement provides the ultimate answer in the form of opening the door to Eternal life with our Heavenly Parents.  Included in this voluntary offer is his unimaginable suffering and the sacrifice of his life to atone for mankind’s sins as well as for other human suffering. 

To fulfil his mission, he freely chose to let his spirit leave his body, and subsequently chose to subdue the power of death, and come forth in the resurrection. This gives us the gift of immortality through the universality of the resurrection. (For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:22). This also gives us the opportunity for Eternal Life provided we accept his infinite sacrifice, by offering the sacrifice of a broken heart and a contrite spirit. In addition, we also need to endure on the covenant path. All of this requires the gift of agency, the opportunity for free choice.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Moral Concept of “Fair”

There are many Gospel topics with meanings related to the concept of “Fair”, such as just, merciful, kind, understanding, loving, gracious...